- Advantage : Anji generally doesn't really have low-commitment options to respond to ram's options in neutral, and his offense and defense aren't particularly scary for her to deal with. While he does do an obscene amount of damage off the right hits, and while he can call her out in neutral, ram generally has the upper hand. As ram, you might have to rely on faster normals to avoid his spin, but 2K is an amazing normal, and your P normals also have really good reward on hit thanks to 214P giving you a hard knockdown.
- Advantage : Thanks to her high movement speed and large buttons, ram is generally difficult to zone. Axl just doesn't get as much leeway in neutral because the range she can start threatening him is much larger than most other characters. Though 2K helps him somewhat defend against ram's stuff, he's still going to struggle against a competent ram.
- Big damage for high reward off of a hit
- Fast mash option via 5P which can help against things like Chipp's Genrou Zan (command grab).
- Big buttons to contest Chipp's both in the air and on the ground
- "He's just too damn fast."
- Due to her linear moves, it can be hard for her to get a clean hit on an agile Chipp.
- Chipp doesn't have to hold shit Ram does to him in the corner due to his ability to just safely jump out with his three jumps.
- Can DP out of Ram's rekka strings.
- Great movement to evade Ram's attacks
- A deceptively fat 6P to invalidate Ram's normals and air approaches.
- The lyric, "fly like an eagle, soar through the sky" in Chipp's theme "Play The Hero" is actually a reference to how easily he flies through broken walls after being touched once.
- Can struggle to mix up mash happy Ram's due to her mortobato and 5P mash being effective answers to his Alphra Brade (Alpha Blade) and command grab.
- Somewhat stubby normals that can have a hard time dealing with Ram.
General tips for Ram vs Chipp
- Chipp's speed allows him to maneuver around Ram's big scary moves in neutral, keeping her "honest" to a certain extent.
- His fast normals and DP can give Ram some trouble even when she does get him to block, and Chipp himself can have some really scary mixups in the right situations.
- Try to preemptively hit where you think Chipp will be so you can try keeping him locked down.
- Reactively 6P. Since Chipp can vary his air movement more than the average character, it's best to only 6P when you 100% know he's gonna land into it. Hard but possible after practicing.
- Overall much harder than your usual Ram matchup, but not unwinnable by any means. Thanks Daisuke.
- Advantage : Faust zones. Ram doesn't get zoned. Here too, her speed and range just make it very difficult for faust to ever get the space he wants to set up for items. He also really doesn't do enough damage to punish ram when he does actually win neutral. Painful matchup for him.
Despite all this, there is something Faust can do on defense, to deal with ram pressure : he can crawl under 236H on reaction. Krackatoa breaks down this tech here : https://youtu.be/cnYteOeJ9TU
- Bigger Normals (Swords equipped)
- Better overall space control
- Oppressive Corner Okizeme and pressure
- Struggles to prevent screen control against Gio midscreen when either of her swords are gone
- Without meter, Ram struggles to deal with Gio corner pressure
- Ram's fastest button is 5 Frames whereas Gio's is 4 frames
- Has better Ground movement
- Strong strike-throw game
- Gio is short and stands under S sword throw (236S) and can run under it
- 623S (Sol Nascente) is a great anti-air and is good at stuffing Ram's 214K (Sildo Detruo) and can lead to big damage
- Gio has small poke options compared to Ram
- Gio struggles on defense against ram corner pressure without meter
- Gio has a hard time challenging ram from Full&Midscreen
- Gio does not have a meterless reversal to escape corner pressure
- Gio has extended hurtboxes on most of her normals
General tips for Ram vs Gio
- Pre-emptively filling space to stop dashes is something Ram will have to do quite frequently
- Saving your swords in neutral will make it easier for Ram to catch Gio's movement
- Ram should try to not whiff her long range normals as it makes it easier for Gio to close the gap
- Learn to 6P Gio's 236K (Trovão) and 214S (Sol Ponte), as both moves are plus on block and will allow her to continue her pressure if you don't interrupt them.
- Try to whiff you big normals as they giver her enough time to get in
- Advantage : 6:4
- Longer Range Normals than Ky's
- Scarier Win condition than Ky's
- High and consistent Damage Output
- Struggles a lot to contest Neutral vs Ky in this matchup without swords
- Stun Edge is a really good fireball for him
- Stun Dipper is a great too for him to whiff punish Ram
- Has a meterless reversal(Vapor Thrust) to escape Ram's corner pressure
- Worse Range vs Ram when she has access to both swords
- Lower Damage output
- Less consistent Combo conversions
General Tips for Ram vs Ky
- Ram plays in about the same ranges and spaces Ky plays, but she does it better.
- Ram's f.S is faster, larger than his, and disjointed to boot, and her 5H more or less outranges all his normals, and with even more disjoints.
- To challenge these normals, Ky pretty much has to commit to 236K or 6P, they are still fairly risky especially without meter, and ram herself has strong options to beat those, such as 2S or 2K.
- As for pressure, Ky's DP (Vapor Thrust), though it exists, is not amazing, and not particularly difficult for Ram to deal with, and Ky's pressure is not too scary, especially if Ram has meter.
- Slight Advantage : Though Ram has really good, rewarding buttons, good lows, good antiairs, and strong reward all around, with pressure that can be very difficult to beat for I-No, Ram can't cover hoverdash j.S and 236S/236H at the same time, meaning I-No still has a good chance to simply guess right and get in. And once she's in, she can mix.
Rating: 6.5 : 3.5, Heavily Ram Favoured
- Oppressive Corner Pressure
- Long Range Normals
- Good corner Carry
- No meterless reversal
- Weak without swords equipped
- Strong Corner Pressure with minions
- Decent zoning game with minion meter
- High chip damage with Offensive Minion super
- Good Mixup potential with minion(s) summoned
- Low defense and guts
- Weak defensive options
- Reliant on minions and minion meter for screen
- Shorter range normals compared to Ram (except her 6H)
General tips for Ram vs Jack-O
- The Ram player should not give the Jack-O space to summon minions with f.S, j.S, 5H and both sword throws(236S/H)
- Pay attention to Jack-O's minion Gauge, it limits what she can do
- Ram can always special cancel or gatling after clearing a minion
- Ram's Best minion clear options
- Close range - 5P, 5K,6P
- Mid-long range - f.S, j.S, 5H
- Don't let the Jack-O player throw a minion behind you, you can't clear it if it is, run or jump at her after
- Ram can always use her reversal super (236236S) between Jack-O's 2D and 236K
- When FDing Jack-O, FD her normals, not her minions to space her out
- If the Jack-O player is using j.D a lot, S sword throw (236S) can snipe her out and j.214S.
- Ram easily out ranges Jack-O, push her to the corner and kill her, she can't easily escape.
- Slight Disadvantage
General Tips For Ram vs Leo
- Your neutral is better than his but like other MUs, it's a tough ride when he finally gets in with backturn.
- Your f.S is 1 frame faster then Leo's, and your 5H is 3 frames faster, giving you almost complete control of neutral when on the ground. By that logic Leo's will tend to jump to avoid having to lose said neutral or may start to shoot projectiles from range; be aware of the game plan they go with.
- Leo's Kaltes Gestöber Zweit(The cross up) can usually be thrown during a block string, there is however 1 frame where you will throw in the wrong direction, so make sure to not mistime the throw.
- You can actually beat Leo's guard point stance with a grab or low (the low will cause a counterhit).
- Advantage : May plays neutral thanks to her amazing buttons that let her bully a lot of character, but Ram simply has better buttons for that. On top of that, Ram has a much easier time dealing with dolphin RPS, meaning May has to work harder to actually get her hits.
- 5.5:4.5, Millia explodes but she's too fast for f.S
- 5:5, almost a first hit wins situation
- Nago starts to out range even your normals once he starts getting into higher blood levels. They are still quite awful on whiff however, and proper baiting of moves like nagos 2H will make him wide open if he dosent have meter to make himself safe.
- Nago's 6P cleanly beats Ram's f.5S from various distances, use 2S to circumvent this.
- 214H will very quickly become the bane of your existence. You can snuff it with pre-emptive pokes but blocking it or (heaven forbid) getting counterhit by it is very bad. Your 5P is smaller than his and 2P is prone to losing.
- 5.5:4.5, At max range, Pot can play at the mid range effectively due to his big buttons like f.S and 5h. Corner pressure is especially effective because of his poor mobility and lack of forward/air dashes to get out of sword pressure.
Matchup Rating: 5:5 Even
Basic Mirror Match counterplay
- The Ram with more swords equipped in neutral is favoured
- Ram can easily challenge her own neutral
- Ram struggles to deal with her own corner pressure without meter
- This is a very momentum based matchup, first to break the wall usually wins
- Ram has access to a few safe jumps making her Mortobato super easier to bait
- Ram can always use her Mortobato super between rekka (214P) 1st, 2nd and 3rd hits
- Ram can easily punish her 214K with 5P, 6P, 5K,and airthrow
Mirror Match Midrange R.P.S
f.S>2.S>6P>f.S and so on...
- Jumping in Neutral can heavily change the R.P.S (Rock, Paper, Scissors)
- Delaying and slightly changing your buttons and timing can throw off the other ram and can lead to whiff punishes.
- If either ram whiffs 5H, it can be punished with 214H
- f.S checks itself and she has a hard time dealing with her own pressure
- 5.5:4.5, you out neutral him but he heavily out damages you
- Night Raid Vortex can be annoying for Ram to deal with, because of its low profile qualities. Ram gets strong punishes on both block and startup due to its generally risky nature, being -17 on block.
- S Volcanic Viper is -22 on block, allowing for violent punishes.
- 6S > Gunflame can be punished on reaction with a forward airdash.
- Heavy Advantage
- Amazing corner carry that can decide rounds off of one hit.
- Large disjoints that can make it hard for Zato to contest her.
- A very easy to throw out 6P that can cancel into rekka to help her start expressing herself.
- Without meter she can struggle to get out of Zato's offense due to her lacking defensive options.
- Zato can reflect Ram's sword explosions if the player isn't being mindful of how they're using it.
- Zato dislikes women.
- Zato can mixup his air movement with flight, calling out bad anti airs.
- Strong mix game! (Like every other MU when he gets someone to block)
- His combos sure do hurt a lot in this very high damage game.
- Has wack health so when Ram touches him, he's really gonna feel it.
- No reversal so when Ram gets going, he is fully at her mercy.
- Has to rely on YRC as his only consistent way to get Ram off of him.
General tips for Ram vs Zato
- Ram feasts on Zato once she gets in but this also goes both ways. Make sure you keep Zato at bay with your strong pokes and go for the throat after you take out Edwin.
- 236S has a use in this matchup. It can clip him which puts him into a stagger state, allowing Ram to get in. It's risky but can work.
- Due to Zato's unconventional aerial movement, you'll need to do 6P on reaction rather than expectation.
- You can hit Edward with Motorboat to extend it's active frames which can catch unsuspecting Zato's by surprise when they try to get in after seeing the effect fade. Do not rely on this. This is moreso a quirk of the matchup than something you should actually try applying.
- Be ready to jump! Zato players like to sneak in his command throw but learn to recognize the situations they do it and be ready to beat him up for 90%.
- Heavy Advantage
- Amazing corner carry.
- Goated offense in the corner.
- Amazing 6P to say "cry about it" to a large chunk of Testament's buttons.
- A better reversal than Testament's.
- The ability to Motorboat during some of Testament's blockstrings.
- Better normals and neutral overall.
- Has to watch out for Testament's incredible 6P anti air and H Reaper.
- Has to stay alert of more aggressive pokes with 2H (to catch with its high active time) and 6H (bigger range), riskier but do threaten the neutral.
- Sword toss can be 6P'd and since Testament's 6p has a decent horizontal range the threat of that can be more evident for test than for most other characters in Ram pressure.
- Testament has two strong ways to stop Ram from jumping out of the corner with j.D and H Reaper. H Reaper leads to a strike throw mix when Ram lands and j.D leads to another mixup. It's often better for Ramlethal to try to use her privileged normals like f.S in the gaps in Testament's corner pressure since they have a lack of real ways to open people up with at certain ranges (whereas trying to escape can lead to a pressure reset).
- Crow can beat out 236H/S.
- Works hard as hell just to be ignored because Ram has normals that completely eclipse theirs due in part to large hurtboxes Ram can exploit.
- Their reversal is nowhere near as strong as Motorboat, not to mention it has considerable start up not making it the best for getting out of the corner.
- No strong mash options to try and contest Ram's pressure, leaving them locked down for an excessive amount of time.
- Low damage relative to Ram which makes winning neutral vital which is obviously hard when Ram has normals that are so much better than theirs.
- Struggles to make Stain matter due to how easily Ram can hit them so they rarely get to actually profit.
- Low-ish health and guts so getting hit by Ram is comparable to being hit in the face with a dozen shotgun bullets in real life.
General Tips For Ram vs Test
- Ram actually just gets to step all over Test with no real struggle.
- Neutral is hard for Testie because it's viable for Ram to just run up 6P when they attempt to get things going.
- Crow beats Sword Toss but this is more of a general inconvenience than a game changer.
- Testie has a deceptively good j.H jump in that Ram needs to keep an eye out for.
- Their pressure is nowhere as good as yours and their reversal isn't too great either.
- Do try to be careful when going for the third hit of 214P though as if Testament has 50 meter, they will be able to reversal you with their Kroger Motorboat.
Click [★] for character's full frame data