Zappa is "Naked" in this form, lacking a summon. In exchange for none of the firepower or versatility of his summons, he has an excellent keepaway and defensive game to get them online as soon as possible.
- Slippery: Zappa's extraordinary backdash and fast low profile dash make him one of the most elusive characters in the game when he's grounded.
- Mixups Galore: Zappa has access to a variety of grounded overheads including his 16f 214D and 6H, some of which come with him into other summons.
- Tricky Normals: Zappa has many normals that shrink his hurtbox to go under the opponent's attack as well as his 5K which raises his hurtbox to go over lows. This makes Zappa very difficult to poke against for most characters.
- Free Summons: Zappa has a 3/8 chance each time he leaves hitstun to get a summon. 1/8 of the time this results in getting Dog, which can act as a "get out of jail free card" and let Zappa escape pressure or even start a combo of his own.
- Excellent DP: Although it is only available when Zappa has no summon, 236P is a very strong reversal that can get Zappa out of difficult situations or be used to counterpoke.
- High Stun Potential: 2H has a 2x stun modifier and on air CH combos into itself, which is often enough to stun characters by itself.
- Low Damage Output : Naked Zappa generally does very little damage off of regular confirms, instead routing into 236P after a small combo.
- Limited Air Control: Naked Zappa cannot end confirms in a hard knockdown vs airborne opponents and he generally lacks strong air to air or jump-in tools.
- Poor Grounded Anti-Airs: Lacking a traditional 6P or alternative strong anti-air buttons, Naked Zappa has limited ability to directly threaten airborne opponents from the ground.