Anji is an all-around character whose main mechanic is his autoguard, which allows him to block during portions of some of his attacks. He can work at close to mid range with varying degrees of effectiveness. His tools, while each strong in specific situations, don't fit any "jack of all trades scenarios", making Anji tricky both to play and to deal with.
Anji has an extensive mixup game with a variety of lows, overheads, and throws which can break open opponents who don't know what to do. His most unique tools include Fuujin, Autoguard, Late Cancelling, and 3S Cancel, all explained below. Unaware opponents can be run over by him quite soundly, while experienced foes will force Anji to mix up which autoguard he uses with his other tools to greater effect.
|Anji Mito is an all-rounder character who revolves around countering his opponents offense with autoguard and the infamous Fuujin.|
- Late Cancel - Anji's normals have a property in which they can all be cancelled at any point during their active and recovery frames into a normal or special move as long as they made contact, giving Anji the ability to turn any gatling string into a Frame Trap. Example link, turn on the CC for explanation
- 3S Cancel - 3S is a particular normal that can be cancelled during frames 8-10 of its startup into 5S or 5H, allowing for very unique blockstrings and cancels that other characters cannot perform. Example Link
- Wide Gatling Tree - Anji has a large number of command normals and gatlings, along with many ways to get into them. This along with 3S cancelling allows him to apply strong mix, frame trap, and crank guard bar really well.
Anji's 5P is an amazing jab, coming out fast while also having a large hitbox in front of Anji.
- Is a great anti-air that can catch a lot of approaches.
- Leaves Anji at +3 on block
- Can be crouched under
- Has limited options for gatlings.
Gatling Options: 6P, 3P, 6K, 3S, 5H, 6H, 5D, 2D
Untechable for 16F.
A great general poke that has many options to followup on.
- Has great gatling options such as 3P, 2S, and 6K
- Great at keeping the opponent in Anji's butterfly oki
- Extends Anji's hurtbox
Gatling Options: 6P, 3P, 6K, 5S, 6S, 2S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
Fast poke that covers good range without extending Anji's hurtbox while also being good combo filler.
- Cranks the guard bar well
- Has good gatling options such as 3P, 2S, and 3S
Note: Anji does not have a f.S. 5S will activate at any range. However, 5S will automatically gatling into 6S if S is pressed again on contact.
Raises GB+ 14 on first hit, GB+ is decreased on additional 5Ses in the same string.
Gatling Options: 6P, 3P, 6S, 2S, 3S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
5H works as a good move to stuff approaches and as a great combo tool.
- Combos into 236H on normal hit leading to big damage.
- Generally what you want to combo into after a mixup.
- Has hitboxes on both sides of Anji.
- Knockdowns airborne opponents.
Forces opponent into crouching state on ground hit. Slams down and knocks down opponent on air hit.
Gatling Options: 6P, 6K, 3S, 6H, 5D, 2D
Great all around anti air, especially against airdashes.
- Anji leans back during the animation allowing him dodge certain things.
- Has a great disjoint like most 6P's
- Can go into 236H on normal hit or chain into 5H before 236H for extra damage, but can be inconsistent depending on range.
- Good for frame traps.
Above knees invincible 1~21F (Anji's back can be hit as he stands 18F onwards). Staggers opponent on ground CH (Max 49F). Hitstun 21F. Initial prorate 90%.
Gatling Options: 3P, 6K, 3K, 5S, 6S, 2S, 3S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
A great grounded overhead to mixup opponents.
- Bounces opponent on counterhit, allowing a followup.
- Potent in Anji's butterfly oki.
- Has no gatling or cancel options besides RC.
Ground bounces opponent on CH (Untechable for 90F).
A fast frame trap with early autoguard frames.
- Has autoguard on FRAME 1, meaning instant access to Anji's autoguard moves.
- Potentially unsafe to throw out if left uncancelled.
- Has no true gatlings besides 3P which acts as a frame trap to discourage punishment when 6K is not cancelled.
- Can be late cancelled into 5K on hit, block or whiff during the final 10 frames.
- A 5F gap on block between 6K and 5K provides another frame trap discourage mashing.
- At Level 3 Stagger, on 6K CH, the 5K will link and provide a combo.
- FRC or RC can be used to further make 6K safe with FRC leading to good combos or the ability to continue your pressure.
Staggers opponent on ground CH (max 37F). FRC timing 11~12F. Can be late cancelled into 5K from 26F onwards.
Autoguard: High autoguard 1~7F. See notes *1 here.
Gatling Options: 3P
A very big poke covering a large portion of the screen in front of Anji.
- Has a good autoguard point while also potentially leaving Anji at a safe distance.
- It being a low can catch inexperienced opponents off guard.
Initial prorate 80%. Wallbounces opponent on CH (untechable for 56F). Throw invincible (not listed on frame data).
Autoguard: Low autoguard 1~5F. See notes *1 here.
An extremely far poke covering a large portion of the screen in front of Anji.
- Can catch people jumping in or out, trying to approach, trying to poke, and potentially airdashing while still having a good autoguard just in case.
- Unfortunately, 6S's hitbox is deceptive and only hits on the ends of the fans. This makes using 6S up close a risky option.
- Has many gatling options.
Note: Anji does not have a f.S. 5S will activate at any range. However, 5S will automatically gatling into 6S if S is pressed again on contact.
Autoguard: High autoguard 7~12F. See notes *1 here.
Gatling Options: 3P, 6K, 3K, 2S, 5H, 2H, 5D, 2D
3S is an autoguard machine, and also is Level 6 on block.
- One of Anji's few low autoguard and lasts up until the active frames start, on a move with a very long start up.
- Has many ways to gatling into it.
- Allows Anji to use 3S cancel, a very strong technique for blockstrings and combos.
- Is also +1 on block.
- Oddly, is jump cancellable.
Cancelable into 5S or 5H 6~8F. Blockstun 22F.
Autoguard: Low autoguard 1~27F. See notes *1 here.
Gatling Options: 3P
6H, once an iconic multi-hitting attack now nerfed to a single hit, is still a powerful tool with a variety of uses.
- Can work as a good frame trap and goes into 236H on counterhit.
- Using its FRC point allows for a strike throw mix up.
- Has high autoguard.
- Is throw invincible for a portion.
- Has many ways to gatling into it.
Initial prorate 80%. Untechable for 19F. Throw invincible 14~21F. FRC timing 17~20F.
Autoguard: High autoguard 12~19F. See notes *1 here.
Anji's 5D on paper is a subpar dust, but due to its autoguard properties, it can become a very potent tool.
- Can be special cancelled to make it safe.
- Has a lot of autoguard frames.
- 5D into autoguard P or D can be a strong anti air option.
Autoguard: High autoguard 4~18F. See notes *1 here.
Anji's 2P is a fast and close ranged pressure tool.
- Can gatling into 2K for a frame trap or be used for a tick throw.
- +0 on block.
- Can go under certain moves.
- Decent gatlings.
Initial prorate 80%
Gatling Options: 5P, 6P, 5K, 2K, 5S, 6S, 2S, 3S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
2K is an amazing tool for poking and pressure.
- Leaves Anji at a MASSIVE +6 on block.
- While it has limited gatling options, it being +6 on block allows it to be a great mixup tool.
- 2S and j.214P allow for a high/low mixup.
- Can be used to restart pressure.
Initial prorate 70%.
Gatling Options: 6P, 6S, 2S, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
2S is a great low poke and mixup option.
- While it has limited gatlings, 2S makes up for that by gatling into 3S which allow 3S cancels.
- Out of its limited gatlings it can go into 5H on counter hit and also works during butterfly oki, making it a strong tool to get into Anji's strongest combo options.
- Can go under a lot of things.
- Has no proration.
Low profile 11~13F, 21~23F.
Gatling Options: 3S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
2H is a situational move, but is very strong when used. Level 6 move on block.
- Works great as a frame trap, lending itself well with its good amount of low autoguard frames.
- Leaves Anji at +5 on block.
- Can gatling into 5H for massive damage.
Autoguard: Low autoguard 10~19F. See notes *1 here.
Gatling Options: 3K, 5H, 6H, 5D, 2D
Anji's 2D is a very strong move that can be very punishable if misused.
- Can be gatlinged into from many of Anji's common moves.
- Can low profile for a large portion of the move.
- Has a very big hitbox, even extending slightly in front of Anji's body.
- Is -11 making it very punishable if blocked, though it is special cancellable.
Low profile 5~23F
j.P is a fast and decently ranged air option for Anji.
- Works in combos, air dash pressure, and as an air-to-air.
Gatling Options: j.P, j.K, j.S, j.H, j.D
j.K is a really good all-around aerial for Anji.
- Hits right in front of Anji.
- Great for use in SJC combos.
- Works great for a air-to-air.
Gatling Options: j.P, j.S, j.D
j.S is a pretty good move for most aerial scenarios.
- Hits a good bit in front of Anji.
- Great for SJC combos.
- Can be used as an air-to-air or as a jump-in.
- Frames 3-4 of start-up are affected by a unique bug with the following properties:
- When done low enough to the ground, these frames will gain high autoguard.
- Even when not done low to the ground, Anji will still get hit normally during those frames, but the subsequent on hit effects will treat Anji as if he blocked the attack.
- The primary effect of being hit at a higher height is that Anji no longer is in counter hit state from frames 3-4, but it also leads to strange interactions such as:
- No meter gain on Gold Burst.
- No burst refill on Blue Burst.
- No level up from Johnny's coin.
- No follow-up animation from cinematic supers and instant kills.
Autoguard: High autoguard 3~4F when low close to the ground. This is a bug. See notes *1 here and notes on bug above.
Gatling Options: j.P, j.H, j.D
j.H is a go-to combo ender for Anji.
- Knocks down on air hit leading to butterfly oki.
- Can be used as a cross up in some scenarios.
Slams down opponent on air hit.
Gatling Options: j.D
j.D is a powerful button with a few uses.
- Can stop Anji's aerial momentum.
- Can be used as a good air to air.
- A pretty decent combo ender, especially in the corner where Anji can go into j.214P for a knockdown.
- Blows back opponent on hit.
Initial prorate 90%. Upper body invincible 1~11F, 22F onward. Blows back opponent on hit (untechable for 30F). Wallsticks opponent on CH (untechable for 84F, wallstick for 30F). Can be canceled into any jump attack except another j.D 23F onwards.
Pretty normal throw, but guarantees great Butterfly oki midscreen.
Knocks down opponent on hit. Forced prorate 50%.
A basic air throw.
- can combo into 5P > ON from anywhere on screen
Floats opponent on hit (untechable for 60F). Forced prorate 50%.
A great reversal tool for tight situations where Fuujin would fail and autoguards become tricky to time.
Fully invincible 1~11F. Throw invincible 12~26F. Knocks down opponent on ground hit. Initial prorate 50%.
A slow moving projectile with two parts to it.
- Once the projectile comes out and touches something, either a opponent or another projectile, it will transform and come down for two hits.
- Allows a lot of Anji's oki game, forcing the opponent into situations weighed in Anji's favor.
- Disappears if it doesn't touch anything in the first part for long enough or if Anji is hit at any point.
Projectile disappears immediately if Anji gets hit. Falling butterfly has Chip damage x2. Falling butterfly: Startup of 1F after original projectile hits or is blocked, or 20F after nullifying a projectile.
Anjis's main way to get into his Fuujin followups.
- Used in combos especially for 236S > D extensions.
Slides opponent on air hit (untechable for 40F, slide for 20F). Can cancel into followup attacks 28F onwards.
A extremely useful tool in Anjis neutral playbook to cover opponents infront of Anji.
- Strike invul for the first 12 frames allows Anji to go through some projectiles and moves, but can be extremely risky as the invul ends before the move is active.
- Launch on hit allows for most of his routes, typically using 236H > D.
Initial prorate 80%. Strike invincible 1~12F. Wallbounces opponent on hit (untechable for 38F). Fully untechable on CH. Can cancel into followup attacks 33F onwards.
Fuujin -> P
A decently safe followup to Fuujin.
- Can be airdashed out of, making it harder to punish after it hits and allowing for possible conversions.
- FRC makes it completely safe.
- Has a long startup making it possible to punish if the opponent is quick to react or read it. Working it in with other followups is key.
Anji is airborne 4F onwards. FRC timing 6~8F. Auto Jump Install. Listed Frame Adv is for a standing opponent in the corner (Tested on Sol).
Fuujin -> K
A long hop from Fuujin.
- Can go over lows and potentially cross up.
- Can be very strong when used in butterfly mixups
- Great way to close space after a Fuujin.
- Is in CH state until he lands making it very risky if punished.
Lower body invincible and can pass through opponent 7~24F. Anji is in CH state until landing.
Fuujin -> S
Low sweep followup from Fuujin.
- Great for ending combos or continuing them in the corner.
- FRC is great for a safe way to end block strings and to combo anywhere.
- Works for a very strong frame trap.
Floats opponent on ground hit (untechable for 35F). FRC timing 23~25F.
Fuujin -> H
Slow overhead followup from Fuujin, all to setup some solid oki... or to fish for a disgusting counter hit. Even then, it's a way to transition into his autoguard moves during pressure with Fuujin in general.
- A lot of overhead autoguard frames and is a fat Level 6 move on block; also neutral on block unless it's been slashbacked.
- Works well to catch opponents off-guard, but can be beat out with a low.
- Throw invincible helps to make opponents have to understand how to beat it.
Throw invincible 1~22F. Slams down and knocks down opponent on hit. Groundbounces opponent and fully untechable on CH. Listed Frame Adv is when opponent blocks standing (tested on Sol). Startup to hit a crouching opponent is 31F. Blockstun 21F.
Autoguard: High autoguard 8~26F. See notes *1 here.
P during Autoguard
Good followup when autoguarding an aerial attack.
- Builds a lot of meter.
- NOT safe if it is blocked.
Strike invincible 1~4F. Upper body invincible 5~13F. 1st-7th hits float opponent (untechable for 20F). 8th hit blows opponent back on hit (untechable for 60F). Anji is in CH state until landing. 2nd-7th hits have hitstop 5F. Kou can only be used during the hitstop of an autoguarded move.
K during Autoguard
Your go-to autoguard vs grounded attacks and projectiles.
- Plus on block.
- Can be linked into 5P/5K.
Strike invincible 1~11F. Lower body invincible 12~23F. 4th hit has 23F hitstun. Frame Adv. on hit = +5F. 1st-3rd hits have hitstop 6F. Anji is in CH state during move. Sou can only be used during the hitstop of an autoguarded move. FRC timing 26~28F.
One of Anji's main combo enders.
- Deals great damage.
- Gives great oki spacing.
- Has a useful option select with its FRC Example
- Can be useful to catch opponents jumping.
Anji is airborne from 9F onwards. Fully untechable on hit. FRC timing 11~13F.
A short range overhead that can crossup.
- Is slightly plus on block, but the number of frames depend on opponents height.
- Can be airthrown if they predict it.
Anji is airborne 4~27F. Feet invincible 22~27F. Knocks down opponent on hit.
Less safe and easier to react to since Anji jumps higher.
- FRC leads to much stronger and more unpredictable mixups and is safer.
Anji is airborne 9F onwards. Groundbounces opponent on hit (untechable for 40F). High groundbounce and fully untechable on CH. FRC timing 22~30F. Listed Frame Adv is for a standing block (tested on Sol). Auto Jump Install. Anji automatically turns to face the opponent after FRC.
A common air combo ender.
- Can be tiger knee'd and RCed to combo after.
- Extremely unsafe if blocked.
- Will give knockdown if at the right height.
Ground bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 60F). High groundbounce and fully untechable on CH. Anji is in CH state 1~48F. Hitstop 6F. Fastest possible TK Shin:Nishiki has startup: 17F, Frame Adv: -29F.
Similar to normal Shitsu but the second part is now an overhead.
- Allows Anji to perform unblockable setups.
- Has more recovery, more range, and travels faster compared to normal Shitsu.
- The increased range and speed make it a situationally useful move to control space.
The falling part has Chip Damage x2. Projectile disappears instantly if Anji gets hit. Goes through other projectiles. Falling butterfly startup is 1F after hit or blocked, or 20F after nullifying a projectile.
Fuujin -> D
Anji's main use of meter.
- Ground bounces, OTGs, and does a metric ton of damage.
- Main combo extension after H Fuujin.
- Effectively fully throw invul since they will likely still be in block stun from the Fuujin before the followup.
- Can be used for mix ups but the FB flash will likely give away what you're doing to an opponent who knows Anji's options.
Throw invincible 2~25F. Ground bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 60F). Listed Frame Adv is for standing block (tested on Sol). Startup is 25F to hit a crouching opponent (tested on Sol).
Autoguard: High autoguard 2~20F. See notes *1 here.
D during Autoguard
Like the normal version, it is used as a response to an anti-air autoguard.
- Trades meter build for damage and for it to be safe on block since you can air dash out.
Strike invincible 1~11F. Upper body invincible 12~13F. 1st-7th hits float opponent (2nd hit untechable for 20F, rest for 60F). 8th hit slams down opponent and fully untechable. Anji is in CH state until landing. 2nd-7th hits have hitstop 5F. FB Kou can only be used during the hitstop of an autoguarded attack.
Situationally useful when your opponent likes to stall on the top of the screen.
- Can be air dashed out of
- Its start up makes it hard to combo into compared to normal ON.
- FRC works similar to normal ON, but spending 25 meter before the FRC makes it hard to justify.
10~18F low profile, 19~28F strike invincible. Knocks down opponent on hit (untechable for 120F). Anji is in crouching state during landing recovery. FRC timing 19~20F. Anji can move before landing.
Issei Ougi: Sai
Useful way to tack on some extra damage in a combo.
- Works after On.
- Has some slight invincibility but not enough to make using it as a reversal worthwhile.
- FRC allows you to combo out of it for some more damage.
- If you are hit after the very start the move will still come out but you can move and follow up for free.
Above chest invincible 4~6F. Upper body invincible 7~9F. Strike invincible 10F. 11th hit knocks down opponent. Anji is in CH state during move. Dizzy modifier x0. Hitstop 0F. Can pass through projectiles. Projectile appears on 10F. FRC timing 66~70F. Projectile guranteed to activate after 10F. Giant fan will activate on 53F if the 11th hit hits (not blocked). Giant fan does 50 damage, attack level 3, startup 27F, active 24F, fully untechable.
A super version of Kai.
- Because of it going into the air, it can allow you to get out of the corner.
- It's unreactable after the super flash, meaning the opponent would already have to be blocking or invincible before it starts, but it takes a while for the flash to start.
- Can do some ambiguous cross ups but the steep meter cost makes it not worthwhile.
- Has some invincibility, but other moves are more useful for that.
Strike invincible 4~20F. Knocks down opponent on hit. Opponent cannot input anything from after super flash until the 3rd active frame. Must charge down for at least 40F to perform Tenjinashi. Listed Frame Adv is for standing block (tested on Sol). All hits outside of the 2nd hit have hitstop 0. For the follow up strikes after the knockdown (1st hit), if the opponent was ground bounced, the spin will hit them in the air, else they'll take the hits on the ground
63214S during Autoguard
Unburstable super after autoguard.
- Guaranteed to connect after the first hit.
- Can FRC before the last hit to get some extra damage, though if it's not going to kill, taking the knockdown would be better in most cases.
Fully invincible 1~22F. Strike invincible 23~70F. 1st-3rd hits stagger opponent on hit (Max 65F). Opponent's inputs are frozen until the 2nd active frame of the 1st hit. 4th hit knocks down opponent. Anji is in CH state during move. Dizzy modifier x1.5. FRC timing 63~65F. Can only be performed during the hitstop of an autoguarded move, or after a normal autoguard attack hits or is blocked.
During IK Mode: 236236H
I guess you could just throw out all that utility and use this instead.
- Can be used after a dizzy sometimes.
- Has a 50/50 after an air throw, but requires being in IK mode before the air throw.
Like most IKs, extremely situational and rarely used. Can still be used against ABA though.
|To edit frame data, edit values in GGACR/Anji Mito/Data.|
- A.B.A [★]
- Anji Mito [★]
- Axl Low [★]
- Baiken [★]
- Bridget [★]
- Chipp Zanuff [★]
- Dizzy [★]
- Eddie [★]
- Faust [★]
- I-No [★]
- Jam Kuradoberi [★]
- Johnny [★]
- Justice [★]
- Kliff Undersn [★]
- Ky Kiske [★]
- May [★]
- Millia Rage [★]
- Order-Sol [★]
- Potemkin [★]
- Robo-Ky [★]
- Slayer [★]
- Sol Badguy [★]
- Testament [★]
- Venom [★]
- Zappa [★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data