Goku Black is a neutral-focused character with dirtier tools than his counterpart, SSJ Goku. Goku Black has much bigger buttons than normal thanks to his reliance on his kicks and his trusty God Slicer, which also deflects Ki Blasts. His infamous 2H is a massive half-screen poke that is Grounded, Deflects Ki Blasts, and Anti-Airs the opponent, making it an all-around incredible move. His Ki Blast is also massively plus on block at full screen as well as dealing heavy damage when he is up close. His Ki Blast, in conjunction with his Beam and 236L gives him both a strong zoning and anti-zoning game. Once he conditions you to block, he can trick the opponent with Binding Black Kamehameha (214S), a command grab that looks very similar to his beam. Lastly, although riskier, his Divekicks (j.214X) and Teleports (214X) round out his neutral game, giving him tricky approach options. While his mixups may not be the best, Goku Black has a death grip on neutral and the damage to back it up.
Goku Black is currently best on point. He wants assists to enable his IT mixes and let him get away with his committal tools in neutral.
Goku Black works well on mid since the point can utilize his assist while Black still has an assist for his IT shenanigans.
Goku Black has not been an anchor since the start of season 2. He's not unplayable solo, but his inability to abuse respect he creates hurts his ability to open people solo. If you must play Black on anchor, tag him in a lot more often and don't be afraid to let him die before anyone else on the team does.
Goku Black can use pretty much any assist. Using a fast assist lets him use Divekicks freely and an assist with high blockstun frees up Instant Transmission for blockstrings. Goku Black's assist itself is incredibly useful for neutral, combos, and blockstrings, which lets him work well with pretty much any other character in the cast.
- 2L > 5L > 5LL > 2M > 5M > 5H > 5S...
- 2L > 5L > 5LL > 2M > 5M > 5H > 5S > 236L
Safe normals: 2L, 5L, 5LL, 5LLL, 2M, 5M and spaced out 5S (plus on block)
- IAD j.H ▷ 2L > 2L > 5S (Works with IAD j.ML)
- 2L (point blank) > 2L , 2L > 5S
- 2L (point blank) > 2L , 2L > slightly delayed 2L > 2M > 5S
Various ways to auto-space your string into 5S so the projectile comes out leaving Goku Black very plus on block.
- ...214L , airdash j.M (Cross up)
- ...214M , airdash j.M (Same side)
- ...214L , delayed airdash j.LL (Same side overhead)
- ...214L ▷ 2M (Low)
EX Instant Transmission:
- ...214H , delayed airdash j.H
- ...214H , airdash j.S > j.214H
Works with the opponents back to the wall.
All of Goku Blacks light and medium normals are safe on block and his 5S when spaced out can make his stagger pressure very hard to escape but not entirely scary. Against opponents with good defence it will be hard for Goku Black to open them up by himself. TK Instant Transmission (2147L) gives Black the properties of a super-jump when he performs this special. This can be particularly useful as it allows a fast-fall by holding down 2 or allows Black to cross over people by floating over them forcing an ambiguous left right mix. Using this will give the opponent a harder time consistently blocking instant transmission and is essential to learn.
- Aside from the standard options such as IAD overhead, you can use Instant Transmission to try to open up the enemy or if the enemy is in the corner, you can back-dash into 5S.
- 214L/M sets up several safe-jumps when your opponent is in a sliding or hard knockdown state.
- Black can use 214L/H to setup a safejump off his level 3. If they are conditioned to respect you, you can go for a Left Right mix off either IT. SJ Installed IT makes any mix you would go for even more ambiguous and harder to block, but is still unsafe without assists. Be warned, if the opponent's back is not to the corner, they can backdash the IT safejump. This of course can be called out.
Tips and Tricks
- Black relies on fundamentals to win in neutral and open people up. Knowing how to pressure people properly is going to be necessary to open competent players.
- 5S is a strong pressure tool that is plus on block if they block the projectile. You'll need to stagger 5 and 2L to get the proper spacing for it. It can be SDed through, so throw a frametrap in before you try and abuse it to condition people to respect you.
- Black can reliably space himself to setup a 6M that is plus on block. IAD>j.H>4L>dl.2L is the easiest way to set it up, but it can be setup through normal staggers. On hit, Black can combo off it solo with 2L.
- SJ Install IT is a grimy mixup option but it won't let you float over extremely large characters like ZBroly but you still get an ambiguous high low mix.
Fighting Goku Black
- When fighting Goku Black, keep in mind that his attacks while having good hitboxes, are fairly slow overall. Keep a sharp eye out for any openings and punish them.
- Additionally, since he only has one low move it is fairly simple to defend against him until his blockstring ends.
- Black has solid pressure and can make it difficult to know when it is safe to escape or challenge due to the spacing on his moves. Pay attention to the rhythm of the Black player to know when to escape.
- Instant Transmission is unsafe without assists so you can anti-air Goku Black when he doesn't use any assists. However, good Black players are aware of this and will use M IT to bait your anti airs.
- Watch out for the command grab. It is slow enough for you to avoid as long as you know about it.
- Black has to heavily commit to an option to win neutral. These commitments are punishable and can be easy to bait depending on the opponent's habits.
- Black can get a meaty safejump off the L and H variant of Instant Transmission. If your back is not to the corner, the only "safe" option is to backdash. Black can call this out and can airdash to punish it if you're too predictable with it.
- Android 16[★]
- Android 17[★]
- Android 18[★]
- Android 21[★]
- Android 21 (Lab Coat)[★]
- Broly (DBS)[★]
- Captain Ginyu[★]
- Gogeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Gogeta (SS4)[★]
- Gohan (Teen)[★]
- Gohan (Adult)[★]
- Goku (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Goku (SSGSS)[★]
- Goku (Ultra Instinct)[★]
- Goku (GT)[★]
- Goku Black[★]
- Kid Buu[★]
- Majin Buu[★]
- Master Roshi[★]
- Super Baby 2[★]
- Vegeta (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Vegeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Vegito (SSGSS)[★]
- Zamasu (Fused)[★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data