Please feel free to make edits, but include edit summaries and sources where applicable.
Where Frieza favors a more slender form and a long-ranged approach, his brother Cooler is infamous for his brutish build and memetic abilty to skip neutral. This amarinthine alien has very good midscreen control thanks to his absolutely huge normals, divekicks and j.SGuard:
, as well as long strings that have plenty stagger and frame trap opportunities. The most notable thing that Cooler can do is counter opponents trying to zone you out, or otherwise rely on "meta" strategies like beam spamming and careless Superdashing. Cooler's Genocidal Uppercut (3H)Guard:
-10 launches him forward with a projectile and air invulnerable charge for about 70% of the screen, and can be cancelled into 5SGuard:
-5 on block to make it either safe or plus if the opponent is still in the air. Cooler also has access to 5HGuard:
-7 which thanks to recent buffs lets him go 90% of the screen fast with relatively low recovery. With these tools used properly, Cooler can counter many keepaway strategies and lock down the opponent. If the opponent fails to respect Cooler and his enormousness, they can find themselves being brought straight to the corner by his infamous corner carry combos. Complete with a DPDragon Punch A move that has invulnerability during its startup, long recovery, and a rising motion.Guard:
-44 and a frame 1 counter level 3Guard:
, Cooler is well-rounded and can go toe to toe with anyone, and their pitiful beam assists too. Unfortunately, Cooler's brawnish body is also his biggest blunder, as his wide normals and slow attacks make him very susceptible to whiff punishing. Failing to accommodate for this can have Cooler be swamped by his opponent as his size is turned against him. If the opponent learns to respect Cooler, he also loses some of his effectiveness, meaning a Cooler player must tread a fine line between punishing his opponents carelessness and bullying them with his huge normals.
|5LLL||850 / 500×2||All||U3+||16||3||18||-5|
- 5L is Cooler's fastest normal, good for pressure and confirms.
- 6f jab. Moves him forward thanks to the buffs.
- Combo and blockstring filler.
- Huge range makes it reflect-proof.
- Connects after a Vanish with microdash 5L whiff.
5LL has huge range and moves Cooler forward a lot. Unsafe on block, but due to Cooler generally having great pressure you might be able to get away with staggering this.
- 5LLL switches sides on hit and frametraps.
- Cooler is in the air on hit and grounded on block.
- Safe on block.
- Like most of his mediums, 5M is really long range.
- Moves Cooler forwards, giving it even more range and easy spacing.
Because of pushback, 5M > 2M or 2M > 5M can result in the opponent not having enough range to challenge Cooler, while Cooler still has enough range to hit them.
|850 / 400,100,500||All||U1||17||6||22||-7|
- Carries the opponent to the current wall on Smash hit, making it a powerful corner carry tool. The attack itself makes Cooler travel across 90% of the screen.
- Usable after a low j.2H in the corner for optimal combo setups.
Best used midscreen when you land a max range 2M. Since it has the same range as 3H, it can be used as a lariat.
- Single-hit projectile that travels downward about half-screen.
- Integral to Cooler's pressure, but not really useful in neutral.
- Typically used after 6H in both pressure and combos, allowing Cooler to cancel into 5H, 2H, 3H or any specials.
- Very high hitstun, allowing for Sparking loops and even Super Dash in the corner.
Cooler's 5S seems like combo filler at first, but it's actually quite a good stagger tool. The opponent will be pushed decently back from Cooler, enabling several possible options to continue pressure and punish the opponent for getting impatient.
- Exchanges the low property for huge range.
- Good for staggers due to its fast startup and long range.
- No longer outranges 5L.
Pairing this with 5L gives obnoxious pressure that can beat mashing (2L5L)>(5L2L).
- Cooler's most ignorant normal.
- Can link into 5H, 5M, or 6H at the start of the round for a decent corner carry setup.
- Has a hefty hurtbox befitting of its range, so make sure it doesn't whiff.
- Can connect 5S and 214S at max range after a hit.
Really dumb range. 5M is able to link into the move at max range, but can also still be cancelled into 5S or 5H instead.
|850 / 1000||All||U1+||14||3||28||-11||4-16 Head|
- Universal anti-air that can lead to huge damage.
- Decent upwards range.
- Cooler doesn't have any safe cancel options on block. They can either be disrespected or punished if blocked.
- Universal overhead.
- Short range for a character with generally large range.
- Scales like a light (thanks a lot, Cell).
- You can perform 5H after 6H but not vice-versa, so be careful how you structure your pressure.
- Confirms from 2M on hit but not 5M.
- Ground bounces on air hit.
|750||All||19~28||3||23||-10||4-21~30 Head, 7-21~30 Projectiles|
- Tracks the opponent relative position, goes through non-Super projectiles. Projectile invul starts at either 6f or 7f.
- Also has anti-air properties.
- Able to combo into Super Dash on hit. Can gatling into 5S on block to make it safe.
- If the opponent blocks this high enough, 5S will make Cooler +1.
This move goes through a lot of stuff. Abuse it.
- Has a tendency to whiff in air combos if used more than once before a double jump.
- Though it whiffs in certain air combos it's quite decent at stopping super dashes
- Long range, great air-to-air normal.
Effectively 2M in the air, incredibly ignorant and a good anti-Super Dash. You can nearly always confirm into j.2H.
|850 / 1000||High||D1+ [D3+]||14||3|
- Only really used as a jump-in or for 2H OTG punishes, 214L is a much better combo ender.
- Gives the most frame advantage out of all Cooler's air normals.
- Has more use than its grounded counterpart due to being the only way to confirm air strings into j.214X and j.236L/H.
- Does not have enough hitstun on its own to combo into j.236M.
- Can be linked after j.2H in the corner to squeeze a little extra damage out of combos.
Used a lot like SS Goku's j.S in neutral, in that you'll primarily use it to snipe opponents trying to stop you. Cooler gets extra mileage off of it due to smarter opponents watching for his divekicks.
Sideways air launcher that wall splats on Smash hit, useful for air-to-air confirms. Beside comboing into Super Dash, a low-to-ground Smash hit can be linked into grounded combos. In midscreen, he can convert with dash 5M. Becomes much more flexible in the corner with a variety of usable follow-ups like 2M, 6H and so on.
From any grounded blockstring, instant j.2H is a fast, ambiguous cross-up that works on exactly half the cast. Cooler lunges over the opponent if they're crouching and will hit cross-up thanks to hitbox that extends downward. If they react by standing up, they will body block him from moving forward and j.2H will hit same side instead. On block, he's -1.
Below is a list of crouching characters that can be crossed up, tested with this string:
66 2L, 9 j.2H.
|Characters j.2H Hits While Crouching|
|† Only hit if they're holding and trigger proximity block. Whiff against and .|
236L/M/H (Air OK)
|236L||1280||High||24||5||21||-4 ~ -1|
|236M||1490||High||D1||27||7||26||+1 ~ +5|
|236H||1630||High||D1||24||5||37||+2 ~ +5|
|j.236L||1120||High||20||Until L||28||-6 ~ -1|
|j.236M||1330||High||D1||27||Until L||23||+1 ~ +5|
|j.236H||1470||High||D1||20||Until L||22||±0 ~ +5|
- Damage: Raw / Non-Smash / Smash
- L and M versions make Cooler bounce back on hit, while H versions keep him grounded.
- During the bounce back, Cooler can perform actions before he hits the ground. If you've saved air actions during the combo, this allows for an easy airdash safejump in the corner, or tech chase, mixups, etc.
- H versions' lack of bounce back has a slight advantage: Since his ground level 1 does more damage than his aerial one, this is one of the few ways he can combo into this ground Super.
236L causes soft knockdown that can still be extended with Supers. The opponent recovers quite fast after this which can be useful for instant overheads, or cheeky lows for when they're anticipating the overhead.
- Smash hit gives sliding knockdown, but its slow startup means it cannot easily be comboed into without the help of an assist or Smash j.2H.
- Non Smash only hits twice, soft knockdown like the L version.
- Plus on block.
236M is mostly used as a pressure reset, since 236L and 236H are better in every other way.
- Smash hit gives even better sliding knockdown than the M version, combined with the L version's speed, making it an ideal combo ender for both pressure and damage. You can get an auto-timed safejump jH from this SKD.
- Non Smash only hits twice, soft knockdown like L version.
- Also plus on block.
236H is useful in both pressure and combos. If you still want 236L's corner carry while not having to deal with a weaker knockdown, use this.
214L/M/H (Air OK)
- Has anti-air property.
- Scales less than the other versions.
- Can still call assists on block or whiff.
Primarily used to hit Super Dash or to end corner combos at high scaling.
- Fully invincible from the 1st frame.
A DP with a great hitbox and lots of range. Some opponents might not be able to punish Cooler on whiff thanks to how far he goes.
- 214M invul with 214L's speed.
- Powers up the H followup.
214H is usually used along with the H followup to get as much damage as possible.
Death Breaker Follow-up
Death Breaker > L/M/H on hit
|214X > L||500||All||D1||22 |
|214X > M||500||All||D1||22 |
|214X > H||600, 900||All||D1||22 |
|214H > H||600, 900, 900||All||D1||22 |
- L switches sides.
- Smash hit causes a short sliding knockdown.
- M is the ender of choice due to not switching sides.
- Smash hit causes a short sliding knockdown.
- If used after H Death Breaker, gains an extra hit.
- Switches sides.
- Smash hit causes a sliding knockdown.
- Leaves Cooler next to the opponent like H Death Chaser. However unlike that move, non-Smash hit cannot be extended with Supers.
236S (Air OK)
- Multi-hitting beam with slow startup, don't use this in blockstrings unless you wanna get stuffed.
- Confirms into Death Crasher from full screen and SD in the corner (can cancel into SD).
Slower than average beam but better height, it'll more reliably beat people trying to shoot you from the air. You'll either use this in neutral or corner combos.
- Fullscreen low, can confirm into his level 1 or Vanish.
- Use with a good assist for some mix-up potential.
- Gives OTG (hits opponents that are already in a sliding knockdown).
Mainly used for OTG after jDR/jH or frame traps in blockstrings.
|800||All||25||10||+26||starting frame 10|
- Larger hitbox than other DP assists, which can make it a slightly more useful tool for getting out of pressure.
- Invincible from frame 10 onwards.
- Takes up a huge portion of the screen and is confirmable on hit with Super Dash or superjump.
|800||All||35||6||+29||Head/Projectile starting frame 17|
- His 3H.
Goes through all non-super projectiles, assists and has anti-air property BUT is vulnerable at the very start. Great for dealing with zoning and has better blockstun than A assist, but not particularly useful otherwise. Can be used to combo from but timing can be tricky. This assist beats some characters neutral all by itself. Use this assist if one of your characters has terrible neutral and can't deal with zoning.
236L+M or 236H+S
- Switches sides, you'll lose corner pressure if used in the corner.
- Not invincible until after startup.
- Cinematic super, so other projectiles will whiff when Cooler's is used.
- DHC-ing immediately won't trigger the side switch while not sacrificing too much damage.
- Minimum Damage: 908 (360 + 150*2 + 248)
Not a bad level 1, as it can easily connect from most of Cooler's tools, most notably from a full screen 214S. The side switch is a bit of a hindrance. However, with the right team compositions, you can use this to get right back into the corner (most notably, Super Saiyan Goku's level 3 will give Goku hard knockdown in the corner, due to how his level 3 works).
j.236L+M or j.236H+S
|800, 1200||High||UDV||9+4||Until L||-26 ~ -21||9-? All|
- Easily confirms off of the M and H versions of Death Chaser and any version of Death Breaker.
- The only one of Cooler's supers that doesn't switch sides, making it the best option for keeping the opponent cornered after a combo.
- Input 2369L+M/H+S to use this super after a grounded combo if you want to avoid Death Crasher's side switch.
- Vulnerable to anti-airs similar to Vegito's Omega Finishing Blow.
- Minimum Damage: 800 (320 + 480)
214L+M (Air OK) or 214H+S (Air OK)
|214L+M Catch||Total 71||1-42 Strike, Projectiles Guard|
|214L+M Attack||4020||Throw||UDV||13||1||29||1-19 All|
|j.214L+M||4770||Throw||UDV||10+3||Until L||1-23 All|
- On the ground, Cooler uses up 3 Ki gauges and enters a stance. He will only attack if he is hit during this stance.
- Has guard point against everything but grabs. However its downfall comes from the fact that:
- It will only stun the opponent on guarding physical attacks.
- The actual attack is a throw that will whiff on crouching, low profile attacks, or even characters falling down.
- All of these combined means a lot of projectile attacks will get away scot-free, e.g. shooting Ki blasts and spamming 2H, Vanish on reaction to the grab.
- However, it can do a few things other level 3s cannot, notably countering safejumps.
This super is better than how it seems. Cooler loses corner, but has more than enough frame advantage (+56) to go for a left-right mix-up, as well as a meaty 2M. Combined with the rest of Cooler's options and it can be surprisingly scary to block.
- Has frame 1 invulnerability like typical level 3 but is vulnerable to anti-airs.
- Minimum damage: 1779.
- Whiffs on crouchers, but will hit anyone in the air.
- This is also Cooler's DHC.
The same as his grounded level 3, only without the counter. Can be comboed into with j.S -> 236L/H or j.S 214L/M/H + H.
- DBFZ Cooler color1.png
- DBFZ Cooler color2.png
- DBFZ Cooler color3.png
- DBFZ Cooler color4.png
- DBFZ Cooler color5.png
- DBFZ Cooler color6.png
- DBFZ Cooler color7.png
- DBFZ Cooler color8.png
- DBFZ Cooler color9.png
- DBFZ Cooler color10.png
- DBFZ Cooler color11.png
- DBFZ Cooler color12.png
- DBFZ Cooler color13.png
- DBFZ Cooler color14.png
- DBFZ Cooler color15.png
- DBFZ Cooler color16.png
- Android 16[★]
- Android 17[★]
- Android 18[★]
- Android 21[★]
- Android 21 (Lab Coat)[★]
- Broly (DBS)[★]
- Captain Ginyu[★]
- Gogeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Gogeta (SS4)[★]
- Gohan (Teen)[★]
- Gohan (Adult)[★]
- Goku (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Goku (SSGSS)[★]
- Goku (Ultra Instinct)[★]
- Goku (GT)[★]
- Goku Black[★]
- Kid Buu[★]
- Majin Buu[★]
- Master Roshi[★]
- Super Baby 2[★]
- Vegeta (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Vegeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Vegito (SSGSS)[★]
- Zamasu (Fused)[★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data
• HUD • Controls • FAQ • Training Mode •
• Movement/Canceling • Offense • Defense • Gauges • Attack Attributes •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Combo • Frame Data & System Data • Misc •
• Version History • Tier Lists • Oddities •