Buffering is the technique of preemptively doing a move during the animation of the preceding move. This gives you more time to completely input the motion of the next attack.
The Input Buffer refers to the game engine's memory that stores recently entered inputs.
When doing combos that involve quickly canceling attack into other attacks, players can buffer the next attack before the current attack finishes.
- Katalina > Frozen Blade
- After inputting , you don't need to wait for it to hit before you begin inputting the next move. You can even use from the first attack as the first part of . After the first attack hits and you finish , press .
- Ragna > > Carnage Scissors
- After inputting , begin inputting even before hits the opponent. Once the move hits the opponent, then press
- While you may not finish inputting the Carnage Scissors motion before hits the opponent, you are getting a head start on inputting the motion. There is no reason to wait for to finish before starting the motion for Carnage Scissors.
- While most players end up doing this for most attacks, most players are only really cognizant of this for complicated inputs like supers and for cancels that need to be done very quickly.
When hit confirming a normal attack into a second attack with a complex motion (like a super), players can buffer the motion for the super before they confirm the hit. Once they confirm the hit, then they just press the button for the super.
- Ky hit confirming > Sacred Edge ()
- Ky does , then immediately does . Then watch the opponent:
- If hits the opponent, then press to finish the command for Sacred Edge
- If misses or is blocked, then don't press and do other actions instead
This allows Ky to more easily hit confirm, since you are hitconfirming into a button instead of a motion+button.
When doing more complicated things like doing a dashing special/super, you can rely on the input buffer to help make the input easier.
- Jin wants to do a short run > Super ()
- Jin can input , this will cause Jin to start running. After pressing , Jin will perform the Super.
- The amount of time to press the button is not very long, but allows Jin to run a short distance
- Most games only allow you to buffer the next attack and not a series of attacks.
- Ex: Quickly pressing 5A > 5B > 5C before 5A hits the opponent means only 5B will come out afterwards
- Motions will persist between moves
- Ex: If you want to combo into , it's not necessary to do three times. You can do followed by another ; when you execute the second , the game will see the from the first as part of the same input, thereby ultimately outputting for the second move. This therefore means that you can't do if your character has a move.
General Strategy e