Jin is a Major in the NOL and one of its elite commanding officers. While known for his cool and calm demeanor, he is also jealous, ambitious, and possessive with little care for others, treating them like they are mere obstacles. He displayed formidable combat prowess during the Ikaruga Civil War, which earned him his rank as Major and the title "Hero of Ikagura." When he heard that Ragna the Bloodedge was on the move, he quickly abandoned his post to hunt him down by himself.
Frostbite enables Jin to freeze his opponents, allowing for extended combos and unconventional reset opportunities.
Moves that can freeze have two additional values: Freeze Count and Freeze Duration
- Freeze Count: This value determines the number of times that an opponent may be frozen in a single combo. Under normal circumstances, an opponent can only be frozen once per combo using a normal Drive attack (5D, 2D, 6D, j.D). If you use another normal Drive attack while the opponent has already been frozen once before, the normal Drive attack will not freeze the opponent. However, EX Specials (214D, 236D, 623D, etc.) ignore the Freeze Count limit. Furthermore, you may freeze the opponent more than once per combo with normal Drive attacks during Overdrive (see the Overdrive section for more details).
- Freeze Duration: This value determines how long the opponent will be frozen in place after being hit by a move that freezes. Freeze Duration is not affected by hit-stun decay or bonus hit-stun from a Fatal Counter starter; in other words, Freeze Duration is a fixed/set value.
- If an opponent is crouching or airborne when frozen, they will be forced into a standing state.
- If an attack hits Jin while the opponent is frozen, the opponent will recover from the freeze effect immediately after hitstop.
- Opponents will automatically break free from the freeze effect if they are hit by a normal attack, if Jin goes over the Freeze Count limit, and after the Freeze Duration expires.
Jin has access to a set of special moves that consume 25% Heat, similar to Force Breaks from Guilty Gear AC, EX attacks from Street Fighter 4, and SB Skills from Persona 4 Arena.
- All of Jin's EX Specials freeze the opponent and ignore the Freeze Count limit.
- If Jin attempts an attack that requires 25% Heat without sufficient meter, the C version of the attack will occur instead (for example, inputting 623D with 24 Heat will cause Jin to perform 623C).
- All EX Specials trigger Heat cooldown for 180 frames upon use.
- Jin will gain a reduced amount of Heat during a combo after using an EX Special.
- Although EX Specials ignore Freeze Count, there are other restrictions in place. If you trigger SMP by using the same EX Special twice in the same combo, the EX Special will not freeze the opponent again.
Overdrive: Frost End
Frost End is Jin's Overdrive. During Overdrive, all of Jin's sword normals and specials freeze the opponent; the Freeze Count limit for Jin's normal Drive attacks is altered; and Jin's EX specials gain additional properties (ground bounce, wall bounce, etc.).
- Sword normals (5C, 2C, 6C, j.C, j.2C) will now freeze the opponent and have a Freeze Count limit of 3.
- Normal Drives (5D, 2D, 6D, j.D) gain an extended Freeze Count limit of 3.
- Special moves will now freeze the opponent and have a Freeze Count limit of 5.
- Normal Drives (5D, 2D, 6D, j.D) gain more frame advantage, have higher P2, and freeze for a longer period of time.
- EX Specials gain additional properties: 214D~C wall bounces, j.214D ground bounces, 22C~D deals more hits and additional damage, 236D can be dash cancelled, and 623D(2) launches the opponent.
- EX Specials lose their 180F cool-down period.
- 632146C and 236236D have enhanced animations and deal additional damage.
- Freeze attacks that trigger SMP will still fail to freeze the opponent.
You can only freeze the opponent up to 5 times in a single OD combo (not counting EX Specials). The specials' Freeze Count limit of 5 is shared with the sword normals/Drives' Freeze Count limit of 3, meaning that you can only freeze the opponent up to 3 times with sword normals and/or Drives and 2 more times with special attacks for a maximum of 5 freezes per OD combo (again, not including EX Specials, which ignore the Freeze Count limit).
- Above-average health.
- Jin has tools to deal with just about any situation, from air-to-air battles to both short- and long- range ground battles.
- High average damage. Jin can hit-confirm pretty much everything and turn those hit-confirms into damaging combos, especially when he has 25 Heat.
- Has access to various reversal options, including two reversal DPs (DP C and DP D), which cover different situations, as well as a counter super (Yukikaze).
- One of the better Overdrives in terms of damage output.
- He can play an effective zoning game with his projectiles (Ice Blades) and his pokes, such as 5C, 5D, 2D, and j.C.
- Jin is a fairly straight-forward character, making him perfect for newbies. His bread and butter combos are relatively simple in terms of execution.
- Very strong, safe pressure: Jin excels at placing opponents in frightening situations and can force such situations easily.
- Jin is the standard "jack of all trades, master of none" character. He doesn't excel at anything in particular (though he doesn't have any outstanding weaknesses).
- While his standing overhead (6A) is among the fastest in the game, it cannot be followed up unless on CH or with 50 Heat for a Rapid Cancel.
- Jin's basic high-low mix-up is weak without 25-50 Heat when he can use TK Hizangeki or RC 6A.
- While Jin's offence is strong, his mix-up is less "wild" than other characters'; consequently, Jin relies on his Freeze attacks for unconventional resets, as well as punishing opponents for selecting their defensive options poorly, utilising frame traps, etc.
|Health||100 - 90%||89 - 80%||79 - 70%||69 - 60%||59 - 50%||49 - 40%||39 - 30%||29 - 20%||19 - 10%||9 - 0%|
Standard jab. Whiffs on crouching opponents except those with large crouching hit-boxes, such as Tager and Relius. Can be used as an anti-air against late/weak jump-ins. Jump-cancellable on hit and block.
A two-hit move. Both hits have a slight vacuum effect. It has good reach and quick a start-up, making it a common combo starter. Leads to your basic high-low mix-up, since it gatlings into 2B and 6A on the first hit, or it can be used to frame trap, set-up throws, etc. Can be jump-cancelled on hit only.
- Freezes opponent for 40F during OD. Freeze Count 3.
A strong zoning and neutral tool. One of Jin's best pokes. It has a pretty quick start-up, particularly for its range. Use it as a frame trap or to fish for CHs in neutral. Jump-cancellable on hit and block.
A relatively slow jab but it has decent reach and typically leaves Jin safe on block. Mostly used for stagger pressure and sometimes as a situational anti-air, as Jin's hitbox shrinks quite a bit when peforming 2A, allowing him to low-profile some air attacks. Jump-cancellable on hit and block.
- Head invuln 9-19f.
- Freezes opponent for 40F during OD. Freeze Count 3.
It has a huge vertical hit-box but it has significant start-up and recovery. Can be used as an effective frame trap since it can be jump-cancelled on hit and block. As an anti-air, 2C is slower than some of Jin's other options, but it has a lengthy period of head invuln and great vertical range, making it useful against certain air approaches; however, 2C can be beaten by quick attacks due to its start-up. Head invuln begins well before active frames and extends through them.
Extremely quick overhead, but it can only be followed up if it lands as a counter-hit or with 25-50 Heat. 2A, 5A, and 5B are the only moves that gatling into 6A, so beware becoming predictable in your strings: Jin's 6A is an excellent tool that's difficult to block due to its speed and animation, but opponents aware of your gatling options will block 6A easily if you simply cancel into it at obvious points. Very unsafe on block. Beware using this move without 50 Heat for a Rapid Cancel.
- Low invuln 4-18f.
Invulnerable to lows early in its start-up, but it's pretty slow. 6B is positive on block so it can be used to reset pressure from time to time if your opponent is respecting and to situationally beat 2A mash.
- Freezes opponent for 45F during OD. Freeze Count 3.
It has a pretty good vertical hit-box, so it can be used as a situational anti-air in the corner, though it lacks head invuln. Other than that, this move is mostly used as combo filler or as a high-risk frame trap. One of Jin's strongest combo starters.
Jin's sweep. It has decent reach and start-up but it's punishable on block if you don't special cancel it. It can also be used to low profile under certain moves, such as Ragna's 5B at max range. Combo tool.
Pretty versatile move: it can be used as a jump-in, for cross-ups, etc. During the latter active frames, the hitbox extends fully. Capable of hitting above, in front of, below, and behind Jin at certain frames.
- Freezes opponent for 40F during OD. Freeze Count 3.
Another great zoning/neutral move. Mostly used as an air-to-air and to control space while fishing for CHs. Be careful not to be too predictable with this as most characters have at least one move that can low profile j.C. Can be jump-cancelled on hit and block.
- Freezes opponent for 40F during OD. Freeze Count 3
Another versatile move, as it hits all around Jin. Primarily used as a jump-in due to its hit-box; unlike j.C, j.2C has a stronger vertical hitbox, whereas j.C has a superior horizontal p one. Can be jump-cancelled on hit and block.
Pretty good hit-box and range but if you whiff this you're guaranteed to get punished. It has a bit of frame advantage so it can be used to reset pressure from time to time. Can be special canceled. Can be jump canceled on hit only.
The charged version has a lot of frame advantage but it's pretty slow. You'll rarely ever use this move as there are better things to spend your meter on.
236A, air OK
Primarily used to zone and annoy your opponents. It makes the opponent float and eventually knocks them down on CH, so you can combo into this move if you're close enough and begin your offense on your opponent after the knockdown.
- Cannot hit crouching opponents.
- Head invuln frames 5-9.
It has a ridiculously large hit-box for its quick start-up, which makes this a pretty decent anti-air, but it's extremely negative on block. While a DP, this one is primarily an anti-air tool rather than a reversal -- Fubuki lacks full-body invincibility but is head invincible beginning frame 5. Thanks to its speed, hitbox, and head invuln frames, it works well as an anti-air, particularly for covering specific angles taken by opponents and against very fast air attacks that can't be answered with 2C. Just make sure the move is at least blocked: on whiff, Jin is vulnerable to a massive punish combo due to the move's lengthy recovery, while on block, you retain the option of Rapid Cancelling to remain safe.
|2nd hit (1st hit hits) (214B~C)||200||R||All||15||6||3+22L||-12||H||-|
|2nd hit (1st hit whiffs) (214B~C)||800||R||All||36||6||3+22L||-12||H||-|
The infamous "Ice Car", using it during neutral is asking for trouble. 2nd hit floats the opponent after a 3C, so it can be used as a combo finisher.
|Followup (OD) (22C~D)||200x6,800||R||All||25||1,2x4,7||57||-||Bx6, HBFP||-|
Now a FC, use it to punish highly punishable moves. You must be close to the opponent in order to trigger this move, otherwise Jin will go into a whiff animation which is punishable. Can be canceled into the follow-up with 25 Heat.
The 22C follow-up is useful for switching sides with your opponent mid-combo in the corner.
|Overdrive||700xN, 400x3,1000||R||All||1+8||-||44T||-16||HBFP*||1-2 All|
It can catch people off guard or pushing buttons from time to time during neutral. Pretty useful against projectile zoners. Definitely not a super you want to use up close, as it has, albeit small, a minimum distance to hit.
632146D air OK
|Attack (Normal)||100, 3700||R||UNB||57||15||78||-||B,HBFP||All|
|Attack (OD)||100, 1000x5||R||UNB||57||15||78||-||Bx5,HBFP||All|
Situational counter reversal that catches both highs and lows, can be effective when used in certain situations or against certain moves.
- Japanese Name: ジン＝キサラギ
- Japanese Wiki
- Japanese BBS
- Arcade Profile Dan Rankings
- Character Video Thread