Routing combos into command grab is an important part of optimizing Raven's combo game at 3+ ticks of excitement as it will gain him another 3 ticks to reach another level while also allowing him to set up meaty orb okizeme. While they're generally more advanced routes that require character-specific adjustments, they're very important to excel at Raven as his low excitement routing is limited and his damage is low until excitement is built up. It's important to note that only the anti air command grab (63214S) can be comboed into as it's an unblockable strike rather than a true grab like the grounded version.
Common routes into anti-air command grab include but are not limited into:
- 63214S/63214H RRC > 63214S: inefficient use of meter but is burstproof and instantly jumps excitement from 0 to 6 ticks. Requires a Microdash to connect on Venom specifically
- j.236S RRC > Land > dash 63214S (see Scratch RRC section)
- 6P CH > 63214S (works both on airborne and grounded opponents since 6P launches on CH)
- (vs airborne opponent) Glide cancel hit > Glide Scratch > 63214S
- Converting into a knockdown
On level 2+ command grabs, Raven is able to route into an air combo off of the launch. The routing for this can change depending on the opponent's character and the screen position, but the general consistent midscreen route is as follows:
- 5K > (c.S(1) ) jc > j.K > j.S > delay j.D > j.236H
For level 3 command grabs, replace 5K with a slightly delayed 5H so that only the first hit connects and omit the c.S(1).
In the corner, in order to ensure the orb does not fly offscreen, the combo needs to be adjusted slightly by starting with either 5K > c.S(1) or 2P > 5K depending on the character:
|2P > 5K
||AN, AX, BE, CH, EL, FA JO,KU, LE, RV SI, SL, SO, VE, ZA
|5K > c.S(1)
||BA, DI, IN, JC, MA, RA
|5K > c.S(2)
There also exists alternate routes using Air Scratch to score a knockdown long enough to set up a TK meaty orb:
- 5K > c.S(1) jc > j.S > j.236S > TKAn input method to perform a special move in the air as fast as possible after you leave the ground. Short for "Tiger Knee". For Example: 2369 for a j.236 input. j.236H
- 5K > c.S(1) jc > TKAn input method to perform a special move in the air as fast as possible after you leave the ground. Short for "Tiger Knee". For Example: 2369 for a j.236 input. j.236S > TKAn input method to perform a special move in the air as fast as possible after you leave the ground. Short for "Tiger Knee". For Example: 2369 for a j.236 input. j.236H (more consistent but slightly more difficult)
When landing a level 3 command grab against a cornered opponent, it's usually very difficult for the orb to be meaty after j.D as it tends to fly offscreen. The recommended routes are instead the following:
- 5H(1) > TK j.236S > TK j.236H
- c.S(1~2) > TK j.236S > TK j.236H
These routes will secure a true meaty orb directly on top of the opponent that cannot be jumped out of or low profiled.
- Orb Float
Raven can occasionally use 236H mid-combo to juggle an airborne opponent in order to connect an anti-air command grab. This also works against blocking opponents, since it's an unblockable strike rather than a true grab - this means you can effectively create an unblockable situation if an opponent is air blocking a high level 236H. This is useful for reliably landing a command grab for excitement gain in situations where it would otherwise be difficult to do so. The consistency of orb float routes improves as Raven has higher excitement, as the orb gains more hits.
Typical orb float routes are usually done via Scratch RRC in the corner or from 5H(1) CH midscreen. Examples:
- Corner glide j.236S > 236S RRC > 236H > 236S or (5P) > f.S > 66 > 63214S > ...
- 5H(1) CH > 236H > 4P > 2D > 63214S > ...