Always Be Charging
If you want to play Venom, you need to get used to your ABCs.
This means to be holding back or down-and-back whenever you can to ensure you can use your Stinger AimGuardAllStartup13RecoveryTotal 37Advantage+2 and Carcass RaidGuardAllStartup16RecoveryTotal 34Advantage+8 specials.
- During any animation where direction inputs are not required, try to remember to hold down-back.
- Hold back or down-back when performing any normals as quickly as possible to build up charge. For example, perform 5PGuardMidStartup6Recovery9Advantage-2 as 4P, 2KGuardLowStartup5Recovery9Advantage-2 as 1K.
By holding these charge The act of holding a direction (usually back or down) for about one second, for the purposes of executing certain special moves like Guile's Sonic Boom. Because charge inputs take a bit of time to prepare before you execute them, they tend to be relatively powerful compared to special moves input using other methods, like a quarter circle, which can be input more quickly and in more situations. moves, you will make sure you can shoot out a projectile when you need to.Without this, Venom is significantly weaker.
It is highly recommended you get used to this as quickly as possible.
These 3 buttons comprise the pillars of Venom's layer 1 neutral game. 2S and f.S let you establish as chunk of screen space as "your space". 5K doesn't reach as far as 2S, nor is it as fast, but it is safer and has a hitbox A general term showing where an attack can hit the opponent and where the character is vulnerable to attack. that lets it beat a lot of low attacks. Once you learn to use these 3 normals, it will be easier to get space to do Venom things.
- For basic zoning, use 214S or 214K and then hit the ball with either 5PGuardMidStartup6Recovery9Advantage-2 or j.P.
- Dubious CurveGuardMidStartup21Recovery19Advantage-3 is a combo ender that gives you a better ball than ball set.
- If using j.236S is too hard, you can instead use 5D for an easier-to-use overhead.
You want to hit them with c.S
(starter) > c.SGuardMidStartup5Recovery20Advantage-10(3) > 6KGuardMidStartup16Recovery25Advantage-13 > 421K~D— An easy combo that gives you a lightning ball for okizeme. You can end with 421P if you want ball oki.
throw > c.S(1) > 6K > 421K~D— basic throw combo
2K > 2D > 214X— If you are too far away to land all 3 hits of c.S, use this instead. Cancel 2D into your favorite ball set.
Basic Combo from Throw
- 2K — This is one of your fastest buttons, and you will normally clip them with this before other buttons. Gatling into c.S and then start a combo. If you're too far to go into c.S, gatling into 2D instead and start your oki.
- j.KGuardHigh/AirStartup8Recovery12Advantage-, j.SGuardHigh/AirStartup7Recovery21Advantage-, j.HGuardHigh/AirStartup10Recovery18Advantage-, and j.236S — These are your standard overheads. When used properly, they should leave you within range for c.S on hit so you can start your combo. If you're ever too far, just go with 2D instead.
- Throw — always a good option for Venom once the opponent starts respecting your balls.
- You should probably use meter to do Dark AngelGuardAllStartup7+18Recovery10Advantage- after knocking the opponent down.
- Try to keep 50% tension available for Dead AngleGuardMidStartup11Recovery19Advantage-8 on defense. It can save your life.
- Red Roman Cancel can be used for half a bar of Tension if you make a mistake during a blockstring. It can help keep you safe.
What to do after a knockdown
Do a tiny dash and jump. On the way up, hit the ball with j.K. The ball will hit the opponent as they get up. Next Pick if you want to hit overhead or low.
- Overhead — Before you reach the ground, air dash at the opponent and hit them with air buttons. j.K > j.S is the easiest to get started with.
- Low — Let Venom land and then press 2K.
If they block this initial mixup, you should still be in range to use either 2K or c.S. If they block c.S then you can jump cancel it and do j.236S for another overhead, or press 2D for a low.
Hit the ball with 5P. The ball should hit the opponent as they get up. Dash towards them and pick a mixup.
- Low — press 2K.
- Throw — wait just a moment for the ball's blockstun to end, and then throw them.
- Overhead — jump and do j.236S as quickly as you can.
If the opponent blocks your 2K you should still be in range for c.S. From c.S you can jump cancel into j.236S for an overhead, or press 2D for a low.